SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE FISHING REPORT
SML GUIDE SERVICE
PHONE NO: 540-297-5650 / 540-874-4950
- OVERVIEW- There has been lots of changes to the lake conditions the past couple of weeks! We have experienced lots of rain making for stained water. Fishing has been good this past month! Water temperature will be in the 60’s to low 70’s. Best times will be early morning, late afternoon, and cloudy days. Small and largemouth bass fishing has been good this past month. May is usually one of the better months to fish!
- Largemouth Bass- Fishing for largemouth bass will be good this month. Best lures will be jigs, drop shots, shallow running crank baits, top water lures, Carolina rigs and shaky heads. Most largemouth bass will be in their spawning patterns this month. Secondary points, shallow coves, rocks, stumps and docks will be the best areas to try your luck. Best depths will be from 2 to 10 feet deep. Remember to take care of the bass during the spawn and release them! Fishing will be good at night when the shad are up spawning. Best lures at night are wake baits and shallow running crank baits.
- Smallmouth Bass- Fishing will be good. Best areas will be shallow humps, stumps, shallow rocky areas and secondary flats. Best lures will be tubes, jigs, top water lures, hair jigs and medium diving crank baits. Best areas will be in the mid to the lower sections of the lake. Cloudy days with wind and at night are good times to try your luck! Look for areas with rocks, stumps and flat points next to deep water. Look for humps and isolated rocks near deep water ledges. They feed heavily on crawfish around the full moon. Smallmouth will continue to spawn this month.
- Striped Bass- Fishing will be good this month. Stripers will be caught in the mid sections of the lake and the lower sections towards the dam and in the large creeks. Best lures will be swim baits, buck tails, wake baits and Zoom flukes fished on 1/4 to 3/8 oz. lead heads. Best time to fish is cloudy days, early morning, night time and late afternoon when the shad are spawning. The best depths will be from the surface to 30 feet deep. Live bait fished on down lines and planner boards work good this month. They will constantly be on the move. Find the largest concentration of shad. Night fishing will be good this month. Lures like Red Fins, Thunder Sticks and large Rapalas work when the shad come to the shoreline at night.
- Crappie- Fishing for crappie will be good this month. The best depths will be 2 to 12 ft. deep. Crappie will be found around docks, brush piles, and fallen trees. Docks with brush piles are usually good areas to hold crappie. Small live minnows and 1½ to 2 inch tubes or shad shaped plastic lures fished on 1/32 to 1/16 oz. lead heads will work best to catch crappie this month. Best areas are the main creeks and the upper section of the lake. Some crappie will continue to spawn this month.
- TIP OF THE Month- Always wear your life jacket. Most fish will be caught at night when the shad are spawning. Try to find the areas with the largest concentration of bait fish. ***There will be lots of debris floating since the lake flooded! You can also hear reports about local fishing on the website: THE BASS CAST RADIO SHOW each month. Make sure your running lights are on after dark! Remember to TAKE A KID FISHING!